Car Shipping Checklist
Car Shipping Tips:
- Make sure your vehicle runs and can be driven. Inoperable vehicles usually cost more to ship.
- If you have modified your vehicle in any way, the auto transporter needs to know.
- If you vehicle has been lifted or lowered it could affect the car shipping company's ability to transport your vehicle. Certain ground clearance and height limits may apply.
- Provide the auto transport company all of your contact information, including home, work and cell phone number. More is better in this case.
- Recognize that many factors can affect the time it takes to ship a car. Auto transporters will provide an estimate for pick up and for delivery after pick up.
Car Shipping Preparation List:
- Make sure your vehicle is in good working order (i.e., brakes, tires, steering, no leaks, etc.)
- Be sure your battery is charged and is secured properly prior to shipping a car.
- It is a good idea to clean your vehicle prior to shipping so a thorough inspection of the vehicle can be done prior to turning the car over to the car shipping company.
- The vehicle should have a low level of fuel prior to leaving it with the auto transport company. Do not fill the gas tank.
- If your vehicle has a security system, be sure you turn off the alarm prior to leaving the vehicle with the car transport company.
- Remove all valuables from the vehicle, such as electronic devices, CDs, door openers, prior to shipping a car.
- Be sure to lower your antenna or remove it prior to leaving your car with an auto transport company.
- Personal items should be removed from the vehicle. If the car shipping company allows you to transport items in the car, they are not covered by the auto transporters insurance.
- Custom exterior aftermarket accessories should be removed from the vehicle.
- Do not leave hazardous chemicals or flamable items in the vehicle.
- Be sure the car shipping company has a full set of keys for your vehicle.
- Make sure your vehicle is prepped for any extreme climate changes it may incur during shipping.
- Check all fluid levels prior to leaving your vehicle with an auto shipping company.
Car Shipping Inspection Information:
- Someone must be available at both the origin and destination locations to witness the vehicle condition inspection when the auto shipping company arrives.
- Someone must be available at both the origin and destination locations to sign the inspection report for the vehicle. By signing the inspection report you are agreeing to the reports contents.
- In some rare instances vehicles do sustain damage during shipping. If so, the damage should be noted on the inspection report document and this document will be used as part of the claims process.